Monday, January 25, 2010

Sauteed Escarole

It would seem that I've been working under another theme recently, although it wasn't quite as intentional as Harvest Month in November. You may have noticed that I'm on a bit of a greens kick. I guess the bug to try new things is still biting me, and the start to new year has had me thinking about trying to eat healthier and more seasonally. I am actually finding that to be a bit difficult, considering I've grown up in a world where tomatoes are always in the supermarket, be it spring, summer, winter or fall. But I am trying, and after reading about greens in one of my recent Everyday Food issues I decided I should put a little focus on them. So, this is the third recipe I've tried recently involving greens, the other two being posted below. I'd say this one was the simplest, although none of them have been terribly difficult, but it has also been the most delicious. I'd definitely make this recipe again, and it's nice to have more side ideas for the winter time to help balance that yearning for heartier foods in the cold weather. I served this with some grilled fish and rosemary roasted potatoes.

Sauteed Escarole
Recipe from Everyday Food; Serves 4














2 tablespoons olive oil
3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
2 small heads escarole (about 1 pound total), trimmed, leaves torn and washed well
coarse salt

  • In a large skillet, heat oil over medium. Add garlic, and cook until fragrant and lightly golden, about 3 minutes. Stir in escarole; season with salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 10 minutes.
My notes: Simple enough, right? I used one medium sized head to make two servings for our dinner. This would probably be quite good with a squeeze of lemon juice too, but I marinated my fish in lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and pepper for a nice complimentary flavor.

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

I have never bought this green as I wasn't sure what to do with it but you make cooking this green sound very easy! I may just give it a try. Thanks! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails