Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Berry Muffins

Look! I actually cooked something! Well, baked technically. I have been in a mega-funk lately and any effort into cooking is usually one of the first things that goes when I am. I just want to come home, eat chips & salsa, and sit in front of the telly. This past week though we had a bit of a blizzard, with over a foot of snow in some areas. Being stuck at home gave me a little more impetus to do something in the kitchen, so I looked around for a recipe that would work with what I had on hand and found this one from, where else, Everyday Food. This is a basic muffin recipe to which you can add mix-ins, such as berries like me, or chocolate chips, nuts, dried fruit, etc. These came out great and not only made a yummy late breakfast snack, but were good warmed that evening with a little homemade ice cream too.

Better Than Basic Muffins
Recipe from Everyday Food; Makes 12














3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
2 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, plus more for pan
2 large eggs
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
mix-ins
2 tablespoons sanding sugar (optional)

  • Preheat oven to 375, with rack in lower third. Butter and flour a standard 12-cup muffin pan, tapping out excess. Set aside.
  • In a small bowl, whisk together butter, eggs, milk, and vanilla; set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients; make a well in the center. Add egg mixture to well. With a rubber spatula, gently stir ingredients just until batter is moistened. Do not over-mix; a few lumps are fine). Add mix-ins, if desired.
  • Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each about two-thirds full, sprinkle with sanding sugar, if desired. Bake until a toothpick or fork inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean, 15-20 minutes. Loosen muffins, and tip them on their sides to cool in pan. Serve warm or at room temperature.
My notes: I used 1 cup AP flour and 1 cup white whole wheat, and I substituted soy milk since that's what we had. I added 1 cup of mixed frozen berries into the batter at the end of step two. And I topped each muffin off with a sprinkling of red decorators sugar for Valentine's Day. Also I baked these in muffin cups that I spritzed with cooking spray instead of buttering and flouring.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails