Monday, August 24, 2009

Portobello and Zucchini Tacos

As I've mentioned before, I've been clearing out some long time residents of my to-cook list in an attempt to find more non-meat meals to work into our dinner rotation. This was one more of those recipes that I kept skipping over. I think my main reason in passing it by was probably my lack of Portobello experience. But when they were on sale at Central Market recently I decided to finally give this recipe a try. This recipe was pretty good. It wasn't fantastic, but I think Josh and I were both comparing these to the also recently tried Black Eyed Pea Tacos which we loved. I'd consider trying this recipe again, maybe with some alterations. It was by no means bad, just not as great as the other taco recipes I've made. But it has gotten me over any Portobello nerves I had!

Portobello and Zucchini Tacos
Recipe from Everyday Foodl Serves 4














5 medium portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed, sliced 1/2 inch thick
2 teaspoons dried oregano
2 tablespoons olive oil
Coarse salt and ground pepper
4 medium zucchini, cut into 2-by-1/2-inch sticks
1 medium red onion, halved and sliced 1/4-inch thick
12 (4 1/2-inch) corn tortillas
6 ounces (1 cup) Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
1/2 cup fresh salsa

  • Preheat oven to 425 degrees. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss mushrooms with 1 teaspoon oregano, 1 tablespoon oil, and 1/4 cup water; season with salt and pepper. On another rimmed baking sheet, toss zucchini and onion with remaining teaspoon oregano and tablespoon oil; season with salt and pepper.
  • Place both sheets in oven. Roast, tossing occasionally, until vegetables are browned and fork-tender, 25 to 30 minutes (zucchini may cook faster than mushrooms).
  • Meanwhile, in a small skillet over medium-high heat, warm tortillas according to package instructions (they should be lightly browned but still soft). Wrap loosely in a clean kitchen towel to keep warm.
  • To serve, fill each tortilla with mushrooms, vegetable mixture, shredded cheese, and salsa.
My notes: I halved this recipe to serve just the two of us, but we still had a bit of leftover filling. I also used Pepper Jack cheese, cause I almost always have it in the refrigerator. I found I needed to cook the zucchini longer than the mushrooms, but I may have cut them thicker than I should have. Overall good, I would definitely recommend trying them. They just weren't the top taco filling for us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE zucchini! I'll definitely cook this, just without the cheese.
Thanks!
Peace,
Lady C.

Related Posts with Thumbnails