Monday, August 17, 2009

Balsamic-Roasted Pearl Onions

Josh and I agree on a lot of things, but sometimes there are some foods that just don't fall into that category. And for quite some time onions were one of those things that I loved and he couldn't care less for. But his taste has slowly been growing, and he's been widening the range of foods he enjoys. A few weeks ago when he declared that he liked those tiny onions I knew I had to take advantage of this new revelation. I had been dying to roast some onions for a long time, but never getting around to making them if it was only going to be me eating them. Shortly after he gave pearl onions the seal of approval I was looking for a side dish to make with some savory french toast. I saw this recipe and knew that my chance had finally come. To the oven!

Balsamic-Roasted Pearl Onions
Recipe from Everyday Food; Serves 4














2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen pearl onions, thawed and patted dry, or 1 1/4 pounds fresh
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
Coarse salt and ground pepper

  • Preheat oven to 450 degrees. If using fresh onions, soak them in warm water for 5 minutes to loosen skins; using a paring knife, cut off ends, and peel onions.
  • Toss onions with vinegar and oil on a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet; season with salt and pepper. Roast until onions are tender, 25 to 30 minutes, stirring 2 or 3 times and rotating baking sheet halfway through.
My notes: I used frozen onions to make this an easier week night option. I think this was a great, easy recipe and Josh definitely approved. Now to push the boundaries a little and try more versions of roasted onions!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails