Tuesday, June 12, 2007

I'm just crazy bout 'Cados, 'Cados crazy bout me....

Last night's dinner was a variation on something I'd done before. You may recall the Southwestern Turkey Clubs I blogged about in March. This time around I decided to eliminate the middle slice of bread, resulting in Southwest Turkey BLTs. Equally delicious, slightly easier to eat, and less calories since removing the middle slice of bread also eliminates the need for extra bacon and applying multiple layers of the avocado spread. I served these up with Chili Roasted Sweet Potato Fries. An easy and enjoyable dinner for our Monday evening.

Southwest Turkey BLTs
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart; Serves 2
4 slices whole wheat bread
1 avocado, pitted and peeled
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 to 2 tablespoons pickled jalapeno, chopped
coarse salt and ground pepper
4 slices bacon
4 slices peppered turkey breast
1 Roma tomato, thinly sliced
torn lettuce leaves, I prefer romaine

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Bake bacon for 20 minutes, turning slices halfway through cooking time. Remove from baking sheet and place on paper towels to drain.
  • While bacon is cooking mash avocado, jalapeno and lime juice together in small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  • Toast bread. Spread one slice with avocado mixture. Top with lettuce, tomatoes, 2 slices bacon, 2 slices turkey and second piece of bread. Repeat for second sandwich.
Chili Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges
Recipe from Everyday Food; Serves 4
1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (2 to 3 medium)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon chili powder
coarse salt and ground pepper
  • Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cut each potato into 8 wedges lengthwise; halve long wedges crosswise.
  • On a large rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper, toss potatoes with oil, sugar, chili powder, 1 teaspoon coarse salt, and 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper, until coated. Arrange wedges, cut sides down.
  • Roast potatoes until browned and tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Season with additional salt, if desired, before serving.
My notes: Like I said, this sandwich is just as good, and even easier, than the original it was inspired by. I forgot that last time I decided it was too limey, and had similar results this time. Still good, but very limey. Next time I will only use half the amount. And I only used 1 tablespoon of jalapeno. I think I will try 2 next time. As far as the wedges go, I typically mix everything in a bowl with tongs and then transfer to the baking sheet. This time for better coating I added each ingredient one at a time and tossed after each addition. I think they were definitely coated better this way. Also I cut this recipe in half, since there is just the two of use and I even have a few wedges leftover to go with my lunch today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this recipe. I enjoy your blog. I found it last month when reading the thisweekfordinner blog.
Anyway, I made these last week and they were so yummy (which I found back when in your posts somewhere). I also dipped them while eating them in Brianna's homestyle honey mustard dressing.
So good along with baked french fries..yummy! My husband loved them too.
Toni

Jessica said...

Thanks Toni! I'm glad you were able to find something you like through my blog. It makes me feel great to know that it's actually useful to other people as well as myself.

Jennifer M. said...

Making these today! Yum.

Related Posts with Thumbnails