Friday, July 30, 2010

Pleasantly Surprised- Couscous with Black Beans, Corn, and Mushrooms

I figured I had better make a new recipe this week so I'd actually have something put up here. And I am always looking to add some more vegetarian recipes to my repertoire. I went to my usual source, Everyday Food, and noticed this dinner suggestion. It seemed easy enough, and though a little apprehensive about it I figured I'd give it a shot. When I got home Monday night, honestly, the last thing I felt like doing was making a new recipe. I'd have much rather called in a pizza, or tossed a burrito in the microwave. But, I decided to be a big girl and get to work. Especially since I had so many fresh ingredients for the dinner that I didn't want to go to waste. It was my first time cutting corn off the cob- that was a little messy. But overall everything else came together pretty well. And as often turns out to be the case, the recipes I am hesitant about turn out to be the ones I like the most. This had a really great flavor and was really filling. The textures were really nice together. Josh liked it a lot too. He thought it tasted like veggie fried rice. Good to know I can get that flavor without having to twice cook some rice!

Couscous with Black Beans, Corn, and Mushrooms
Recipe from Everyday Food; Serves 4
Coucous with black beans, corn, and mushrooms
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 cup Israeli couscous (you can substitute regular couscous or orzo pasta)
course salt and ground pepper
1/2 lb. sliced button or cremini mushrooms
1 small bunch scallions, white and green parts separated and thinly sliced
1 1/4 cups fresh corn kernels (from 2 ears of corn)
1 can (15.5 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 jalapeno, thinly sliced (optional)
1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and sliced

  • In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Add couscous and cook, stirring constantly, until golden brown and fragrant, about 4 minutes.
  • Add 1 1/2 cups water, season with salt, and bring got a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until liquid is absorbed and couscous is tender, about 15 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 2 tsp oil over medium-high heat. Cook mushrooms, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and then transfer to a large bowl.
  • Add 1 tsp oil to the skillet and cook the scallion whites and corn, stirring occasionally, until scallions are soft and corn is browned, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and then add to the mushrooms.
  • Add couscous, black beans, lime juice, jalapeno (if using), and scallion greens to the mushroom mixture and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper and serve with avocado slices on top.
My notes: I did not use the optional jalapeno, but others who have shared this recipe online said that they used it and really liked it, so maybe next time I'll give it a shot. Although you can't see it in my photo we did have the avocado with it, and it really did add a lot of complimentary flavor to the dish. I'm tagging this recipe vegan, but is someone knows something about Israeli couscous that I don't, let me know and I'll remove the tag.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails