Monday, July 26, 2010

The Easy Out- What Do You Eat When You Don't Cook?

I have to say that lately, mustering the strength to cook has been a gargantuan challenge. I have some minor chronic pain issues which can severely zap my energy. Sometimes when I get home it's hard enough to make myself take a shower, let alone get out my pots and pans and start stirring. I know I can't be alone in my occasional lack of energy. So, what crutches do you keep in your kitchen to lean on when these times strike? Lately we rely on a few key prepared items for occasions such as this:

  • Amy's Burritos- Super fast, reasonably inexpensive, organic, and vegetarian. Oh, and delicious too.
  • Frozen Spinach & Feta Pizza- We buy Archer Farms' brand (a Target label). It has a wheat crust, and again the nice combo of being organic and vegetarian. We picked one up on a whim a couple weeks ago and it was so yummy that I actually scheduled a pizza night this week.
  • Morningstar Spicy Black Bean Burgers- These are really good, and heat up in a flash. I don't really do the whole fake meat thing (especially since I'm still a meat eater, just less of one), but these aren't trying to be anything other than what they're called, a spicy black bean patty. We like to have them on toasted wheat bread with some Pepper Jack cheese. I usually add mustard, and a slice of red onion if I've got it. We've also done a mashed avocado spread, and when I'm really desperate for a protein fix I'll add a fried egg.
  • Chips & salsa- Seriously, I probably ate chips & salsa 5 out of 7 days last week. So fast, so yummy, and if you watch the type of chips you buy and just how many it is you're eating it can be a relatively healthy meal too.
So, that's what we've been turning to lately in a pinch. Is there anything you make sure to always keep in your pantry, freezer, or refrigerator for those evenings when your energy reserves are empty, but so is your stomach?

1 comment:

Miss Molly said...

Yum! We love all things Amy's. We eat the burritos all the time. And those Morning Star black bean burgers we eat on a weekly basis. During the week we always eat some fresh pasta (like mushroom ravioli) tossed with olive oil and parm. Super quick. Also, we have egg, cheese (pre-shredded), black bean (canned) breakfast tacos. And cous cous mixed with frozen veggies and maybe some egg rolls on the side. Geez -- I don't think we ever cook real meals anymore. Ha. And by the way, the Morning Star "sausage" patties are super yum.

Related Posts with Thumbnails