Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Lemony Swiss Chard

I've got a lot on my plate lately, it's just not always something I've cooked. We've decided I'm going to, hopefully, be enrolling in school for the fall and I've got a lot of things to take care of to make that happen. I'm still cooking, just relying more on old standby recipes, which means not so much to share. I did try Rainbow Chard for the first time last week as a really simple side dish. I served it with some Mushroom Risotto and a salad. It was delicious, although I over-salted a little bit. Still trying to figure out how I'm going to keep feeding us healthy home-cooked meals when I'm going to be busier than ever with school work, house work, and work work. That's a lot of work!

Lemony Swiss Chard
Recipe from Everyday Food; Serves 2















1 tablespoon olive oil
1 bunch Swiss chard (about 3/4 pound), stalks cut into 1-inch pieces and leaves roughly torn (keep separate)
Coarse salt and ground pepper
2 to 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

  • In a large skillet, heat oil over medium. Add chard stalks, and cook, tossing until crisp-tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Add as many chard leaves to skillet as will fit, adding more as room becomes available; season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing occasionally, until stalks are tender, 4 to 6 minutes more.
  • Drain and discard any liquid from chard in skillet; stir in lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper.
My notes: I made this with a bunch of Rainbow Chard. Same great taste, but more colorful! It's so nice to find dishes meant to serve 2, too.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails