Monday, August 03, 2009

Cumin Rice and Beans

I have been on a bit of a Mexican food kick lately. Well, I'm pretty much always in the mood for Mexican food, but I find that I crave it even more in the summer. I was planning on making a quick and easy dinner of Huevos Rancheros one night to use up some extra tortillas and eggs we had and I needed something just as quick and easy to serve on the side. I spied this recipe on my to-cook list and figured it might just fit the bill. And boy did it. There isn't anything particularly amazing about this recipe. It's just fast, easy, and tastes good. But sometimes that more than enough, isn't it?

Cumin Rice & Beans
Recipe from Everyday Food; Serves 8














Coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 cup long-grain white rice
1 can (19 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained

  • In a medium saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, bring 1 1/2 cups salted water and cumin to a boil. Add rice; cover, and reduce to a simmer. Cook 15 minutes; remove pan from heat, and add beans. Cover, and let stand 1 minute. Fluff rice with a fork.
My notes: Tada! The only way it could be easier is if it came in a container and was passed to you through a drive-thru window, I think. Although, I'm not totally clear on why they think this serves 8 people. The recipe is part of an entire meal plan, but it's still hard to imagine splitting 1 cup of rice and 1 can of beans between 8. I think that 4 or 6 servings might be a little more reasonable.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails