Thursday, May 01, 2008

Very Pale Chicken Gumbo

This is what your chicken gumbo will look like when you are too impatient to properly cook your roux. It'll still taste pretty good, but tell me if that isn't the whitest gumbo you've ever seen. Sometimes it's hard to be patient when you're hungry. Really hard. Next time I'll be more patient, I promise. In the meantime, just make sure you cook your roux longer than me and you'll be fine. Obviously, this picture isn't all that pretty. Go ahead and scroll down and look at that Orzo. It's a lot prettier. It might redeem me.

Half-Hour Chicken Gumbo
Recipe from Everyday Food; Serves 4












3 tablespoons vegetable oil, such as safflower
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2 red bell peppers, ribs and seeds removed, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 10 oz. package frozen cut okra
8 oz. smoked (precooked) andouille sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced 1" thick
1 rotisserie chicken (about 2 1/2 lbs.), skin and bones removed, meat shredded (about 4 cups)
Store-bought or homemade cornbread, for serving (optional)

  • In a 5-quart Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot, heat oil over medium. Add flour, and cook, whisking constantly, until pale golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in bell peppers, onion, garlic, and oregano; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
  • Add 4 cups water; stir in okra and sausage. Bring to a boil. Stir in shredded chicken, and warm through, 1 to 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; if desired, serve with cornbread.
My notes: I only used half the chicken, because I wanted to use the other half for a salad, and I used 6 oz. of andouille (1 link of a 2 link 12 oz. package). I didn't notice it really lacking because of these changes. I also added 1 cup of brown rice to get some extra fiber in there, and help balance out the less meat. I also thought that this was even better the next day for lunch leftovers. The flavors had time to mingle, which makes me think that maybe half-hour gumbo is quick, but a slower cooked one would be tastier. I made some cornbread from mix (Jiffy rules!) to go with it, at EF's suggestion.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails