Monday, January 14, 2008

Lackluster Lentils

Last Thursday I made the Vegetarian Lentil Soup with Croutons found in the December issue of Everyday Food. I thought it would be a good way to use the rest of the lentils leftover from the Veggie Chili. I also wanted to make it so I could use the cute plates that my brother-in-law & wife got us for Christmas. This was a pretty easy and quick recipe. Eating it went something like this...

-First bite: Not sure if I'm gonna like this
-Two more bites: Actually, it's not too bad
-Five more bites: Nope, I'm done, it's not for me

Josh wanted nothing to do with it after smelling it. Apparently Josh doesn't like things flavored with bay leaves. He compared it to a meal I made once before that he didn't like. I understood none of this comparison though, because that meal had chicken, bacon, corn, and edamame. Nothing in common with this soup. He claimed there was a smoky scent that he didn't like. I guess bay leaves can be a little smoky in scent. But really, I think he's just crazy. Anyway, it's quite possible that most people will really enjoy this recipe. We aren't two of them however, so I doubt I will ever make this again.

Vegetarian Lentil Soup with Croutons
Recipe from Everyday Food; Serves 4












2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
Coarse salt and ground pepper
2 carrots, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
1 bag (1 pound) brown lentils, picked over
2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium vegetable broth
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 dried bay leaf
4 ounces sourdough bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 1 1/2 cups)

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium. Add onion and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 1 minute. Add carrots, lentils, broth, bay leaf, cayenne, and 3 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, until lentils are just tender, about 20 minutes. Discard the bay leaf.
  • Meanwhile, on a rimmed baking sheet, toss bread with remaining tablespoon oil; season with salt and pepper. Bake until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes, tossing once halfway through. Serve soup topped with croutons.
My notes: I cut this recipe in half, which I am very glad of, cause otherwise I would have been disposing of twice as much soup. Nothing went wrong with this recipe, we just didn't like it.

My grilled cheese however, rocked!

Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Recipe from me















Sourdough bread
Extra-sharp cheddar cheese
Crumbled feta
Butter
  • Slather butter on the exterior side of the bread slices. Apply layer of cheddar cheese on one slice and sprinkle light layer of crumbled feta on top. Complete the sandwich format by topping with other bread slice.
  • Cook in small frying pan over medium heat till cheese is starting to melt and bread is golden and toasty. Flip carefully to toast other side. Remove and enjoy, but don't burn your mouth!

1 comment:

Pill Box Tales said...

This made me laugh. Sounds like something that would happen to me.

Related Posts with Thumbnails