Thursday, November 15, 2007

Spice It Up

Looking for something a little different? Interested in kicking your Thanksgiving celebration up a notch? Then I suggested you turn to chili. Chili powder that is. I love chili powder, and I especially love roasting things with it. It's practically the only way I like eating sweet potatoes, and I certainly enjoy some oven fries coated in it. But I think that this Thanksgiving would be a perfect opportunity to introduce your family to chili-roasted acorn squash. I made this side dish a week or two ago after seeing it in the November issue of Everyday Food. It went deliciously with the southwestern turkey burgers I cooked up. So, I say give something slightly difference a try this holiday season.

Chili-Roasted Acorn Squash
Recipe from Everyday Food; Serves 4


2 acorn squashes (1 1/2 pound each), halved lengthwise, seeds removed
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons chili powder
coarse salt and ground pepper

  • Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Cut each squash halve into several wedges, then halve wedges crosswise.
  • On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss squash with oil and chili powder; season with salt and pepper, and toss again. Roast until tender and starting to brown, 20 to 25 minutes, tossing halfway through.
My notes: I halved this recipe, since its just the two of us. I'm a squash novice and I had a heck of a time cutting it. I got a tip from Josh's aunt Nelda tonight to poke it several times with a knife and microwave it for a couple minutes to soften it up before trying to slice all the way through it. Next time it should be much easier!

I hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving! I should be back sometime this week with posts about the goodies I'll be preparing for my family get-together on Thursday.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails