Sunday, November 18, 2007

Super Soup

Don't you hate it when you make a recipe you think your significant other is just going to love, and they give you an "it's okay", in response? Well, no matter what Josh thought of this soup, I thought it was fantastic. I don't have a picture for it, it was so good the thought didn't even cross my mind before I dug in. But I wanted to tell you about it anyway. This recipe come from Jane at This Week For Dinner. She has plenty of great recipes, so definitely check them all out, but here is the recipe that I made and happily gobbled up.

Lentil Soup
Recipe from This Week For Dinner

1 cup dry lentils
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon cooking oil
4 cups beef broth
1 7.5 ounce can tomatoes, cut up
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme or oregano
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon cumin
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 lb. fully cooked smoked sausage links, sliced - or chopped ham

  • Rinse lentils, set aside. In a large saucepan cook onion and garlic in hot oil until tender but not brown. Stir in lentils, beef broth, undrained tomatoes, worcestershire sauce, thyme/oregano, pepper, cumin, and bay leaf. Bring to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
  • Add carrot and celery. Return to boiling, reduce heat. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until lentils and veggies are tender. Stir in meat - heat through. Discard bay leaf.
My notes: I used thyme, and I opted for ham. It was delicious, but I think next time I'm going to try turkey sausage to see how good that is. This made enough for Josh and I to each have a big bowl for dinner and I had enough leftovers for two lunches. I don't really get why Josh wasn't head over heels for it, it seemed like such a man-pleasing soup, but he does have particular taste at times. He liked it, but just wasn't as head over heels for it as I thought he would be. Like I said, I'll definitely make it again and try changing it up a little just to see how it comes out each way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I have had that experience and funny my husband's name is Josh too!
Toni

Deborah said...

OK, I have to comment, too, because my husband's name is Josh and he is the same way!! Maybe it's something with all of the Josh's out there...

Anonymous said...

LOL! funny....
Oh and anxiously awaiting another recipe post!
Toni

Related Posts with Thumbnails