Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Green With Envy

Oh my goodness, almost a week since my last post! All I can say is that I haven't had anything interesting to post, so I probably spared you more by not trying to come up with something to fill the space. It would no doubt be boring, as yesterday I was entertaining the thought of just typing the contents of the grocery receipts for this week!

Josh is feeling much better, thanks to the Nexium he's been taking for over a week now. But we aren't going back to his wild food ways. At least not yet. Now he is eating anything I make for dinner as leftovers the next day, as he gets home too late to eat before bed half of the time. And I'm still trying to be cautious about what I prepare for him. Tonight's meal was something that I had seen in the pages of my June 2006 Everyday Food, but despite the appetizing photograph I hadn't bothered trying it. However, Jordan over at Oh Happy Day recently mentioned enjoying it for a second time, and it made me take a second look.

Asparagus, Snap Pea, and Avocado Pasta
Recipe from Everyday Food; Serves 6
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed and cut into 2-inch lengths
1 pound sugar snap peas, strings removed
1 pound bow-tie pasta (farfalle)
4 tablespoons butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 ripe avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1/2 cup chopped fresh mint, parsley, or basil
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan or pecorino cheese, plus more for serving, if desired

  • In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook asparagus until bright green, about 2 minutes. Add snap peas; cook 30 seconds. With a slotted spoon or a small sieve, scoop out vegetables; transfer to a bowl.
  • Return water to a boil; add pasta and cook until al dente, according to package instructions. Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta water; set pasta aside in colander.
  • In pasta pot, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add asparagus, snap peas, and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing, until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter, cooked pasta, avocado, herbs, cheese, and reserved pasta water. Toss to combine; season with salt and pepper. Serve topped with additional cheese, if desired.
My notes:
I decided at the last minute to leave out the avocado in this recipe. The main reason being that I didn't want to fuss with keeping the avocado seperate for Josh's meal tomorrow, or giving him a meal that would be filled with brown avocado chunks. I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything while I chowed down, but I'm sure it's great with the avocado. Also, Italian parsley was my herb of choice and I found it delicious. I'm sure it would also be great with basil or mint, although I am personally not crazy about that latter. And, as it serves 6 I cut the recipe in half, which resulted in a two hearty portions for Josh and I, and a smaller portion leftover for my lunch tomorrow.

1 comment:

amber {daisy chain} said...

YUM. I'm really into green these days, and this fit the bill! Sweet blog, I'll be back!

Related Posts with Thumbnails