Monday, March 12, 2007

Home Sweet Home

Well, I'm back from my sister's wedding, although I think a little part of my liver died while I was there. But I've re-hydrated, and am currently enjoying the results of the recipe I'm about to post. I got home one night and felt like crap. I'd had a bad day, and had no interest in making dinner. So, I made sandwiches, as I recall. But, later on I felt like doing some baking, and what could help improve my spirits more than some chocolate? So, I did a little research and found this recipe, for which I had all the ingredients. I got to work, and let me tell you, it took me awhile to get these cookies accomplished. Mostly because I was doing everything by hand, and I am incredibly weak. It took me forever to incorporate the flour mixture. But it was well worth it, because these cookies were delicious. The cramps in my forearm did however convince me to go out and get myself a KitchenAid mixer. I just got the plain 4.5 qt Classic mixer from Target. Nothing fancy, but should be helpful for the times I've got to whip something up. I'm also hoping that I can start testing the waters with yeast. Anyways, I'm expecting Josh to get home any minute, so let's get to the recipe.

Espresso Double-Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Recipe from Martha Stewart; Makes appx. 18 3" cookies
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup packed light-brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, plus 1 large egg yolk
7 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped

  • Preheat oven to 325°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda; set aside. In a small bowl, stir together espresso powder, vanilla, and a tablespoon of water; set aside.
  • In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars together on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add egg and yolk; mix until incorporated. Add espresso mixture; mix well, scraping down the sides of a bowl with a spatula.
  • At low speed, add flour mixture in small batches, mixing until just combined. Remove bowl from mixer, and stir in chocolate chunks.
  • Using a 2-ounce ice-cream scoop, scoop heaping balls of dough and place 3 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
  • Bake until cookies are set, about 20 minutes. Remove from oven; let cool completely before removing cookies.
My notes: I actually only had 5 ounces of semisweet chocolate, so my cookies were slightly less chunky as they could have been. But the 5 ounces seemed like plenty to me, cause we both loves these cookies.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails