Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Stack of Stuff- Egg, Mushrooms, Spinach, and Onion Over Polenta

I'm on spring break this week. Please imagine me saying "spring break" with quotey fingers, because it's a bit of a joke. I'm, of course, still at work. I've still got chores to get done. And worst of all, plenty of homework so I'll be ready for the two tests awaiting me next week. Oh, and my poetry analysis is due too. Blerg. Anyway, I knew I needed to do at least a little cooking this week, even if I'm still plenty busy. Mushrooms were on sale this week, I had a little extra spinach in the fridge, and I've been craving eggs lately. I decided polenta, onion, and parmesan would round things out nicely. This was a pretty simple and quick dinner to put together. I need to remember things like this more often. Simple is key for me, with so little time on my hands.

Egg, Mushrooms, Spinach, and Onion over Polenta
Serves 2
Egg, mushrooms, spinach and onion over polenta
1/2 tube firm polenta, in 1/2" slices, about 6
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
10 oz. mushrooms- cleaned, trimmed, and quartered
3 cups fresh spinach
2 eggs
Olive oil
Shaved parmesan
Balsamic vinegar

  • Heat your polenta according to your taste- I pan fried in butter, then kept warm in a 250 degree oven while I prepared the rest of the ingredients.
  • Heat 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat; add onion, season with salt; as onions begin to soften add mushrooms. Sprinkle with balsamic vinegar and stir occasionally. Cook until onion and mushroom are softened and golden.
  • Cook eggs according to your taste- I fried ours sunny side up (except that I overcooked mine a little and broke the yolk of Josh's, oh well). Meanwhile, add your spinach to the onion and mushrooms and stir until wilted down.
  • Plate your polenta, top with mushroom mixture, egg, and add some shaved parmesan, if you wish.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails