Thursday, September 23, 2010

Reheating Leftovers- Revisiting Cinnamon Oat Pancakes

I had something else on the agenda to share, but I can't seem to find the recipe now. Hardly seems right to share something with you when I can't quite tell you how to make it. But all day I've been thinking about how I should mention these pancakes again. These are my favorite pancakes. Now, I love a fluffy buttermilk flapjack. And I'd never turn my nose up at a blueberry version. But these guys really work hard for me. The cinnamon oat pancake has earned my love.

First, let's start with the fact that these things are pretty darn healthy as far as pancakes go. You've got oats for a nice dose of fiber, and substituting at least half whole wheat flour bumps up the nutritional bonus points. I regularly make these pancakes with soy milk, and using egg substitute would make these babies vegan in no time. The cinnamon and relatively low amount of sugar are just the right combo, no syrup required (though I'd never judge the use of it). And then, you throw in the freezer factor. These fellas freeze beautifully. I wrap them up in pairs in wax paper and pop them all in a big freezer bag. Reheating is a cinch. You could probably toss them in the oven, but I just pop them in the toaster. I usually toast twice, turning in between (that's just a personal tick/habit, probably not all that necessary). They come out warm with a slight crispness to the outside. It's like the best cinnamon toast you've ever had. Way healthier than that sugary cinnamon bread, less mess than sprinkling cinnamon-sugar over toast. Out of the toaster and into my hand for a super easy to eat breakfast. I made a batch prior to the start of the school year, and it's been such a breeze to make sure I eat something before heading off to class. I eat my banana or fruit smoothie while my pancake toasts, then munch on it while I head back to my room and pick out my clothes for the day. One hand for pancake, one hand for grabbing pants, socks, and shoes.

If you've got a big family you'd probably need to make a couple batches to have enough to stock the freezer, but I just don't see how it couldn't be worth it. A nice family breakfast on the weekend, and stock the freezer for weekday mornings? Seems like a no-brainer. If your kid can make a Pop Tart or a toaster streudel, then they can reheat these pancakes.

P.S.- In the original post I imagined that these pancakes would be great with preserves. I was right- they rocked when I recently had them with some homemade peach jam.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails