Wednesday, May 13, 2009

More Mushrooms

Alright, this is the last mushroom recipe.....for now. Seriously, I'm kind of in love with them lately. And, there are mushrooms growing in my front yard now. Not the edible kind, in fact probably poisonous or something, but still. They seem to have really worked their way into my life, ha. Clearly I can't just write about mushrooms though- talk about a niche! But I do need to share this one last fungi recipe with you. This has been on my to-cook list for a seriously long time. This recipe was one of the reader submissions in the October 2007 issue of Everyday Food. If you don't have this issue you should look on eBay, or order a back issue, something. That is my favorite issue of EF (should a person have a favorite issue? Oh well, I do.) I've gotten a lot of great recipes out of that month's magazine, and there's still a lot in it that I haven't made yet. This recipe finally jumped from the to-cook to the gobbled up column last week though. With a nice salad, and maybe glass of wine and a little fruit for dessert you have such a lovely meal! The original recipe did not include mushrooms, so some alterations had to be made.

Baked Eggs with Mushrooms, Onions and Croutons
Recipe from Everyday Food; Serves 4















3 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for ramekins
3 slices white sandwhich bread, cut into small cubes
coarse salt & pepper
1 small onion, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
4 large eggs
¼ cup heavy cream

  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter four 8 oz. ramekins or custard cups. Set a kettle of water to boil.
  • Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium-low. Add bread; cook, tossing occasionally, until lightly browned, 6-8 minutes. Season with salt & pepper, and transfer to a bowl; reserve skillet.
  • Melt remaining tablespoons butter in skillet on medium. Add onion; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3-5 minutes.
  • Dividing evenly, spoon onion into ramekins, and top with croutons. Gently break 1 egg into each ramekin (keeping yolk intact). Top each egg with 1 tablespoon cream, and season with salt and pepper. Place ramekins in an 8-inch square baking dish, and pour enough boiling water to come halfway up side of ramekins. Bake until whites are set, 15-18 minutes.
  • Carefully remove ramekins from water bath, and serve immediately.
My notes: I added a cup of sliced mushrooms, which I just tossed into the skillet with the onions. Also I decreased the onion by 1/2, and used 2 small slices sourdough bread for my croutons. I was only making 2 servings in my 10 oz. ramekins, so I used 1 tablespoon of cream per cup.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails