Sunday, May 25, 2008

Egg Salad

Memorial Day weekend is definitely a time for cookouts and picnics. If your destination isn't very far, maybe you'd like to make some egg salad. Of course, if it is then something with mayo isn't going to fit the bill. For some ideas that travel well check out Jane's Memorial Day post over at This Week For Dinner. To be perfectly honest (and lame) I'm just making a batch of this tonight for lunch this week, but I sure wish it wasn't too hot out for a nice picnic. This recipe is from the March 2008 Everyday Food, and I made it for the first time a couple weeks ago. I really enjoyed it so I decided to whip up a half batch for my brown bagging.

Egg Salad
Recipe from Everyday Food; Serves 4












1/2 cup light mayonnaise
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon white-wine vinegar
8 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and roughly chopped
1 celery stalk, minced
1/4 small red onion, minced
Coarse salt and ground pepper

  • In a medium bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, mustard, and vinegar until smooth. Add eggs, celery and onion; season with salt and pepper.
My notes: I didn't add the vinegar because I didn't have any handy. Still really liked this, and I might try it with a little cider vinegar sometime, which is an ingredient in my family's deviled egg recipe. They say this recipe serves 4, but they were pretty big sandwiches when divided evenly into 4 servings, so if you like your sandwiches a little more manageable you could probably get 6 and maybe even 8 servings quite easily.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails