Monday, July 09, 2007

Blog begets blog

I am really having a blast lately cooking and baking up some great things I've found on other blogs. This is the third or fourth recipe I've found on Crystal's blog poco-cocoa. And they have almost all been awesome. There was one lone recipe that didn't turn out for me, but that hasn't soured me on pillaging her recipe index for ideas and inspiration! As soon as my eye fell upon the title of this recipe I was hooked, and knew I just had to make it.

Baked Black Bean Flautas with Tomatillo-Avocado Sauce
Recipe from poco-cocoa; Makes 8
1 15 oz. can black beans
8 corn tortillas
cooking spray
3/4 cup grated Colby Jack cheese
1 7 oz. can La Costena Green Mexican Salsa
1 avocado, seeded and scooped out of shell

  • Preheat oven to 400°F.
  • In a small bowl, mash black beans and their juice with a potato masher or a fork.
  • Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray (line it with foil first for easier clean-up). Heat the corn tortillas in the microwave for about 1 minute, wrapping them in a moist towel, until they are soft and pliable. Spray both sides of one tortilla with cooking spray. Spoon a few tablespoons of the beans down the center of the tortilla, and top with a sprinkle of cheese. Roll up the tortilla tightly, and lay, seam side down, on the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
  • Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until tortillas are crispy and slightly browned.
  • Meanwhile, puree the salsa with the avocado in a food processor until smooth. Serve the flautas topped with the Tomatillo-Avocado Sauce.
My notes: I used pepper jack cheese instead of Colby jack, cause I like it spicy! And the green sauce is spicy! Not overwhelmingly so, but if you don't like much heat you could probably tone it down by adding another avocado. I served the flautas with Mahatma Spanish Rice. It is our favorite and it's usually only 75 cents or less. I usually mix in frozen southwestern veggies too, but I haven't been able to find any lately. Weird! The recipe makes 8, so we each had 3 for dinner and that left 2 for Josh to take for lunch the next day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh Jessica!!!! I am so making this next week. looks so good.

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm glad you liked this one, and thanks for the link and kind words!

Related Posts with Thumbnails