Thursday, June 21, 2007

Fresh Ingredients

This week Josh brought home some goodies from the Garden Fairy, a.k.a. his dad. So, I changed up my weekly menu a little bit to make good use of some of our fresh-from-the-garden veggies. I had been thinking about doing the Zucchini & Yellow Squash Gratin that I made last month, but then at some point during the day I decided to change it up and go out on a limb. The squashes I got from John are really big. So, I thought I would sub them for Eggplant in my Baked Eggplant Parmesan. I sliced the zucchini and squash into rounds, and breaded and baked them according to the recipe. I baked them for 15 minutes, then flipped and baked for 15 minutes more. I layered them in the baking dish in alternating fashion so you would get both zucchini and squash in a serving. While the whole dish bubbled and baked in the oven I boiled up some penne to serve with it. This was really pretty good. It wasn't drastically different from the eggplant version, but a little more colorful and overall a really good use for some of the great produce we got from the Pop-In-Law.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails