Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Gratin and bare it....

So, wouldn't you know that not taking a pic would finally bite me in the tush. I was planning on posting this earlier today, but the recipe wasn't up on Martha's site, so I couldn't relay it to you while at work. And since there's no recipe, there's also no picture. And since I didn't take one, you'll just have to take my word that it is a colorful dish. Monday night's dinner was a Zucchini and Yellow Squash Gratin, which we had with a nice salad and a little bit of leftover pork. This was a good dish, and a fairly quick and easy recipe, also. I think this recipe would be great for a spring or summer get-together too- easy to make, creamy, and rich without being heavy. And did I mention it's colorful. The beautiful green and yellow discs create a very pretty base for the cream, Parmesan, and panko.

Zucchini and Yellow Squash Gratin
Recipe from Everyday Food; Serves 4

2 tablespoons butter
2 medium zucchini (appx. 7 oz. ea.), sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
2 medium yellow squash (appx. 7 oz. ea.), sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 shallots, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup panko
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

  • Preheat oven to 450 degrees. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat; add zucchini, yellow squash, shallots, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until zucchini and squash are crisp-tender, 4 to 6 minutes.
  • Add cream, and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat; stir in 1/2 cup panko and 1/4 cup Parmesan.
  • Spoon mixture into a shallow 2-quart baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining panko and Parmesan; season with salt and pepper. Bake until top is golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
My notes: Things got a little sticky once I added the panko and Parmesan. This is the first time I've cooked with panko, a Japanese breadcrumb made by cooking leavened bread dough electromagnetically. I guess it's the leavened aspect that made it smell yeasty, almost like beer to me. It supposed to be lighter than regular breadcrumbs, and this dish wasn't heavy at all to me, despite the heavy cream. I guess it worked. Also, I'm going to try and remember to post the nutritional info for recipes if I have it, as I've noticed that they don't list it anymore on the MS website. Luckily they still have an index in the back of the Everyday Food issues. If they do away with that, I'd have to give Martha a piece of my mind!

Per serving: 328 calories; 20.3 grams fat; 12.3 grams sat. fat; 10.5 grams protein; 27.7 grams carbohydrates; 3.1 grams fiber

3 comments:

kelly said...

i am always soo impressed by you. you try these recipes that I would pass on so quickly. but then you try it, describe it, tell me what you like and didn't... and sometimes I actually get the courage to try the recipe too.

thanks.

Mumsy said...

I have been looking for a recipe just like this!! I'm excited to try it. We love squash.

Jenny said...

Jessica, I just found out there's a Chipotle that just opened by me! I'm so excited because every time I see your menu and it's 'Chipotle Friday' I get totally envious and then I go stare at their menu and wish I had one.

Related Posts with Thumbnails