Thursday, February 22, 2007

Waiter, There's Something In My....

So, I didn't intend to wait a week to get this posted, but it's been a busy few days. This is my entry for the new-ish event, Waiter, There's Something In My... , which has been created by Cook Sister, thepassionatecook, and Spitoon Extra. This is just round #2, and the theme is Pie. Sweet, savory, hot, cold, as long as it's covered it counts. So, since I was leaving on Thursday I decided that the night before I would make one of Josh's favorite meals, Bolognese Pie with Biscuit Topping. I tweaked it so it would fit into the event guidelines, and it came out great. Not terribly photogenic, but delicious. Instead of dropping the biscuit dough across the top, I spread it over the entire casserole dish. And that's pretty much the only way this differed from the recipe, which was of course from Everyday Food. I might should have cooked it for a little less time with the dough being thinner, but it tasted delicious anyway. This is actually a leftover meal, using the remaining sauce from a dinner of Spaghetti with Bolognese Sauce. I love it because I can freeze the leftover sauce, and then aside from picking up some zucchini, I have a meal I can put together pretty quickly at a later date.

Bolognese Pie
Recipe from Everyday Food; Serves 4








For the Meat Base:
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 lb. medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise, cut crosswise into 3/4 chunks
4 cups leftover Bolognese Sauce

For the Biscuit Topping:
1 cup all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese

  • Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Make the meat base: Heat the oil in a 10-inch oven-proof skillet, over medium-high heat. Add zucchini; cook, stirring, until golden and just beginning to soften, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in leftover Bolognese Sauce until warmed through, about 3 minutes. Cover to keep warm.
  • Make the biscuit: In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, thyme, and salt. Using a pastry blender, or fork, or your fingers, work in butter until pea-size clumps form. Stir in milk and cheese until dough just comes together.
  • Spoon dough over beef mixture in 8 small mounds, about 1 inch apart. Bake until meat mixture is bubbling and topping is golden brown (a toothpick inserted in the center of a biscuit should come out clean), about 25 minutes. Serve immediately.
My notes: Aside from adjusting this recipe to be a covered pie, I typically change up the cooking containers. I didn't have an oven-proof skillet when I previously made this recipe, so I typically heat the meat base in a skillet and transfer to an 8-inch glass casserole dish to bake. I now have a nice cast iron skillet that I could use, but I wanted to use the casserole dish to help ensure the innards of the pie would be well disguised.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rock n Rolls! Now Available In New Beef Bolognese Flavor!

Jeanne said...

Mmmm, this looks like a quick and comforting meal on a winter night! I love making dishes with biscuit topping - the lover third of the pastry that has absorbed the juices of the filling is soooooo good. I think I'll be adding this recipe to my "to do" list :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails