Thursday, January 04, 2007

Salads and Resolutions

So, one of my new year resolutions is to start this blog up. I set it up before the wedding, and then had absolutely no time to commit to it. Also, I can't seem to take good pictures, especially when it comes to my food, so I kept putting off really getting it going until I could some how master the art of photography. Without actually bothering to learn anything about it, mind you. My new solution is to use the recipe pictures for now, when available, and only use pics that I have taken when it is absolutely necessary. Because I really hate recipes that don't come with pictures. How am I supposed to know if I want to eat something if I don't know what it looks like? Do I purchase clothes blindly, hoping that they will not be missing a pant leg? Nope. Then why should I go blindly into a recipe with absolutely no idea what the end result might be? So, anyway, without further ado, the first recipe on my teeny, tiny food blog.

Bean, Corn and Tortilla Salad
Recipe from Everyday Food; Serves 4
1 15.5 oz. can pinto beans, drained & rinsed
1 10 oz. package frozen corn kernels, thawed
1 bunch of scallions thinly sliced (appx. 1 cup)
1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted & cubed
3 plum tomatoes, thickly sliced
1/4 cup prepared medium tomato salsa,
plus more for serving
1 12 oz. romaine hearts, cut into bite-size pieces
3 cups broken baked tortilla chips
3/4 cup coarsely grated Pepper Jack cheese
Coarse salt and ground pepper


  • In a medium microwave safe bowl, combine beans, corn and salsa. Microwave just until warmed through, 1 minute. Stir in scallions, avocado, and tomatoes; season with salt and pepper. Set mixture aside.
  • In a large bowl toss lettuce and chips together. Divide evenly among plates; top with bean mixture and cheese. Serve immediately, topped with additional salsa, if desired.
Per Serving: 368 calories; 14.2 grams fat; 13.9 grams protein; 52.9 grams carbohydrates; 11.4 grams fiber.

My thoughts on this recipe:
This salad usually takes me awhile to make, because there are quite a few things to prep. This is especially true if I do not buy ready to eat romaine lettuce. However, the more I make it the quicker the process seems to go. It is an incredibly hearty salad, which makes it a great vegetarian dinner.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails