Thursday, August 25, 2011

Spicy Roasted Broccoli & Shrimp

Sorry for the long blog hiatus, and I wish I could say that I'm ready to be back posting regularly, but I'm not. I will definitely try to post when I can, though. Things have been hectic this summer, and I'm sure they're about to get more busy as I start my Fall semester next week. Also, shortly after my last blog post our oven tried to burn the house down. So, I'm currently without an oven, AKA my favorite way of cooking. I can't begin to tell you how sad it is to not be able to just quickly toss some veggies in to roast. Sigh. The only upside is now I have a good excuse to get the double oven I've long desired. But it'll be awhile before I can afford the oven and before Josh's uncle, Gary, will be able to install it. Sadly, no oven also means it'll be awhile before I can make this recipe again. Josh and I both really, really liked this dish. It tasted fantastic and can we just discuss how quick it is? Especially since I used some of the ever present frozen pre-cooked shrimp I had in the freezer, and pre-cut broccoli. I just adjusted the cooking time slightly to account for not having raw shrimp. Man. I'm starting to get depressed just thinking about not being able to whip this up tonight, so I better just get to the recipe already. This is another dinner that I stumbled across on Pinterest, from Everybody Likes Sandwiches.

Spicy Roasted Broccoli & Shrimp
Recipe from Everybody Likes Sandwiches; Serves 2
Spicy Roasted Broccoli and Shrimp
2 large heads of broccoli
4 T olive oil
1/2 t ground cumin
1/2 t ground coriander
1/2 t chili flakes
1 t kosher salt
1 t black pepper
20 large raw shrimp, shelled and deveined
zest from 1 lemon + remaining lemon cut into quarters

  • Preheat oven to 425F.
  • In a large bowl combine the broccoli with 2 tablespoons of oil, cumin, coriander, 1/4 teaspoon of chili flakes, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. In another bowl, mix together the shrimp with the remaining chili flakes, salt and pepper, olive oil and all the lemon zest.
  • Add the broccoli onto a prepared cookie sheet, lined with either parchment paper, in one layer and roast for 10 minutes. Add the shrimp and cook for 10 minutes more – tossing once at the midway mark. When the broccoli is golden and crispy and the shrimp is opaque, remove from oven. Serve over rice and squeeze with lemon juice.
I used one bag of the pre-cut broccoli and 2 servings, per the bag's measurements, of pre-cooked shrimp. Instead of putting the shrimp in for 10 minutes I added them after the last tossing, so they cooked for 5. At 425 degrees, that was plenty to warm them through. So delicious and so quick!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails