Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Chocolate Glazed Doughnuts

Last week I knew I was going to have a long weekend ahead of me. I had an English paper due the following Monday that I hadn't even started, and I had a three page math review to complete. I knew I was going to have to take action if I didn't want the entire weekend to be a bummer. That action was making donuts. How could I not find at least one bright spot if there were donuts involved? I used my usual trick for the doughnut part. I decided I wanted to try a chocolate glaze this time. Some googling led me to a recipe that I had most of the ingredients on hand for, and it turned out pretty well. I didn't have any milk, but I did have some leftover cream in the fridge, so I used that. I used a little too much really. My glaze wasn't so thin that it just ran right off, but it never quite developed the thin top layer that most glazes do. I'll know to restrain myself a little when it comes to the dairy next time. I'll also cut the whole recipe in half. I had a lot leftover, especially since I only made 6 doughnuts this time, reserving some of the biscuits for bacon and eggs the next day.

Chocolate Glaze
Recipe from Emeril Lagasse; Makes 2-3 cups
Chocolate glazed donuts
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 cup powdered sugar
5 tablespoons milk

  • In a small bowl, combine the cocoa powder and the powdered sugar. Add in the milk and whisk until smooth.
  • After letting the fresh doughnuts drain on a paper towel for a moment, dip the top of a doughnut into the glaze. Set on wire rack. I topped two small plates with sprinkles and coconut flakes and dipped some of my doughnuts and doughnut holes in them for a little extra fun.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails