Wednesday, July 08, 2009

No Heat Week Part 4- The Groceries

I actually didn't make the last meal I had on the weekly menu when the A/C was on the fritz. They installed our brand new compressor halfway through that week, and instead of spending an evening cooking I tried to catch up on some of the chores that had fallen to the wayside to be replaced with laying in front of a fan. But for reference, the last meal I had on the plan was Tuna Salad Sandwiches, Potato Chips and a Salad.

In lieu of having a recipe for the last dinner of the No Heat week I thought I would share just what it was I bought at the grocery store that week to help us have plenty to eat without plenty to "cook". So, here's what I put in the shopping cart that week.

  • Orange juice
  • Organic lemonade
  • Izze blackberry soda
  • Red leaf lettuce, 1 head
  • Romaine lettuce, 1 head
  • Red onion
  • Carrots
  • Celery
  • Bell Peppers- red, yellow and green
  • Cucumbers
  • Baby spinach
  • Roma tomatoes
  • Avocados
  • Basil
  • Lemons
  • Apples
  • Peaches
  • Blackberries
  • Red grapes
  • Small watermelon
  • Bananas
  • Whole wheat pitas, 2 packages
  • Roasted red pepper hummus
  • Marinated olives
  • Fresh mozzarella
  • Organic salsa
  • Organic tortilla chips
  • Sea salt & cracked black pepper potato chips
  • Jalapeno potato chips
  • Strawberry fruit bars
  • Coconut fruit bars
And there you go. Lots of fresh fruits, vegetables, and a few ready to eat items helped ensure that we had plenty to eat- without having to create any additional heat with the stove or oven, or relying on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I got up early the morning after grocery shopping to clean and cut all the veggies during the coolest part of the day. I prepped all the lettuce for salad, per usual, and chopped carrots, celery, cucumber, and the bell peppers for adding to salads or snacking as crudites.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails