Monday, October 29, 2007

In Case You Didn't Believe Me When I Said

I wasn't a foodie, I've come baring more proof. I have a couple other things that I could post about, since I made them prior to tonight's dinner, but they'll just have to wait. I didn't want to put off telling you about our meal any longer than I'd have to. The other day, while perusing food blogs, like ya do, I wandered over to Ruth's blog, Once Upon A Feast. As I scrolled down the page I delighted in finding the collection of recipes from Presto Pasta Night #34. I didn't have to look for long before one particular item caught my eye. I immediately linked over to the Spaghetti Sandwich, submitted by Alisha of Cook.Craft.Enjoy. And so tonight, I did just that. I cooked spaghetti, I crafted it into a sandwich, and I enjoyed. While I didn't follow her actual recipe, it was the inspiration for our meal, so she deserves props. So, if you ever think- hmm this pasta sure is good, but shoving it between two slices of bread would make it that much better
- read on.

Spaghetti Sandwich
Recipe inspired by Cook.Craft.Enjoy.; Serves a lot












1 7 oz. package fideo pasta
1 pound ground beef, 93% lean
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 15 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
garlic powder
dried basil
dried oregano
coarse salt
freshly ground black pepper
red pepper flakes
french loaf- or whatever bread you especially like for garlic toast
butter

  • Cover the bottom of a large saucepan with olive oil and heat over medium heat. Add ground beef and brown until there is no pink left, making sure to break up into a good crumble. Drain the beef and set aside. Return pan to stove, add a little more olive oil and cook onion and garlic for several minutes, till beginning to soften. Add meat back to pan, with both cans of crushed tomatoes. Begin seasoning, adding as you feel necessary and tasting often. Once the taste is to your liking reduce heat to low.
  • Boil salted water and cook fideo pasta for approximately 9 minutes. Drain and return to pan.
  • Cut thick slices from french loaf- large enough to make a decent sized sandwich. Butter both sides of slices and press one side each with garlic powder and a sprinkling of oregano. Toast in a skillet over medium heat till each side is to your desired crispness.
  • Meanwhile, combine your sauce and pasta. Once toasts are done, spoon spaghetti onto one slice and top with the second.
My notes: I don't know if anyone is going to bother trying this, ha. But if you do you should know that you will have a ton of spaghetti leftovers, so this itself would probably be the ideal leftovers meal, following a pleasant spaghetti dinner. As it is we will behaving spaghetti for lunch tomorrow, ha.

3 comments:

Steph said...

this sandwich should be called "the rodney sandwich." you know he makes anything into a sandwich that he can. this looks REALLY good!

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious! Toni

Lunch Buckets said...

Spaghetti sandwiches are really the only reason for making spaghetti in the first place.

Related Posts with Thumbnails