Saturday, January 13, 2007

Cold Weather & Warm Stew

In all honesty, I had no idea that it was going to get so damn cold and wet here this weekend when I decided to make a batch of beef stew in my Crock Pot earlier this week. But now that it's chilly & damp everywhere but in our tiny apartment, I am pleased to have a giant container of it in the fridge. This is actually the only recipe I have made with the Crock Pot my sisters got us as a shower gift. I registered for this one, not because I thought it would be perfect for us, but because it came with the additional Little Dipper Crock Pot. So, in the end we ended up with a 5.5 quart slow cooker for a family of 2. And I have yet to use the Little Dipper, ha. But, it is useful, and I have lots of other recipes that I am aiming to try eventually. I came thisclose to buying some pork spare ribs the other week, but it was the same week I was purchasing the stew meat, which isn't all that cheap when you need the family pack for your big cooker. Anyway, I follow an incredibly simple recipe from my mom's slow cooker owner's manual. She made it once or twice before and I always liked it. Josh loves this stew, and it's great to have something in the fridge that he can easily heat for lunch or dinner. And, once again I totally stole this pic from Everyday Food, despite it not being the same recipe. I don't have a pic of my own stew, and even if I did, it wouldn't look as appetizing as this one.

Slow Cooked Beef Stew
Recipe from Crock Pot; Serves lots

For a 5.5 to 7 quart slow cooker:

2 lbs. baby carrots
3 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cubed
4 large potatoes, cubed
2 10.74 oz. cans tomato soup
1.5 cups water
2 1.5 oz. envelopes beef stew seasoning mix


  • Cut carrots in half crosswise. Place beef, carrots, and potatoes in slow cooker.
  • In a bowl, whisk together the soup, water, and seasoning packets. Pour over beef and vegetables.
  • Cover and cook on low for 8 hours, or high for 4 hours.
Hint: I scrub the potatoes well and leave the skins on, it adds texture, nutrients, and fiber.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails